upgrade to from FM7.x to FM12 $800upgrade from FM 7.x to Technical
Communications Suite $1200
For the extra $400 you get full Acrobat XI and not just the headless distiller
FrameMaker uses when you buy it alone. That's worth $400 to me.Besides that you
get RoboHelp 11, Captivate 8, and Presenter 10 as well and can play around with
the Help options offered by RoboHelp.
Opening older FM files does not require MIF save. Just open them and resave. I
do it all the time with FM5.0 files and up. Copy your older files to new
directories so that you still have them in case you think something went amiss.
The UNICODE stuff is only a problem when backsaving to versions before 8 or 7.2
which I don't recommend.
As someone else said, the retooling of ZapfDingbats (in bullets, etc.) and
Symbol font usage is perhaps the biggest issue. Usually you can pick a glyph
from you normal font(s) to replace these special use fonts since the modern
versions of the fonts have many more glyphs. If you have the Symbol font, you
don't have to  replace Symbols with the "simpler" same font glyph unless you
want to.
Good luck,
Craig