To be fair, I would not say that "FM has always had
issues with OLE" but rather that OLE has always required
"two to tango" and to tango to the same music at that!
Adobe's use of OLE in FrameMaker is actually fairly
stable. On the other hand, some Microsoft applications,
notably Visio as a particular example, have been known
to have somewhat less than robust OLE implementations.
FWIW, I had some "live" FrameMaker documents with OLE
links into Excel spreadsheets that worked like a charm
all the way from FrameMaker 5.5.6 through 7.1. The only
reason I don't use that OLE scenario anymore is that I
don't use that document anymore!

        - Dov