Diane,

When I left Frame Tech in 1994, internal metrics and intelligent speculation
put the total number of worldwide licenses at around 300K. With Wanock's
listing of 500K 5 years later, you could  assume liberal growth of 40,000
licenses per year which would put the probable current figure at an additional
280,000 licenses for a total of 780,000. If you cut the growth figure in half
to be conservative, the total number of licenses is probably 640,000.

I think 650,000 total licenses would be a safe, conservative figure.

FYI -- when I worked at Frame Tech and many of the licenses sold were still
UNIX (the PC was taking off by 1993), Frame estimated that only about 15% of
users actually registered their licenses. I don't know what the reg rate is for
Adobe, but that is one of the reasons that it is very challenging for a vendor
to have accurate figures on actual numbers of licenses in use.

Regarding your earlier posting in late April (what are some of the advantages
that structured FrameMaker has over Arbortext) here are a few insights. I've
worked with a few customers whose management insisted on migration to
Arbortext, while much of production stayed in FrameMaker during the interim.
Even with experienced users who are "up" on XML structure, Arbortext takes far
longer than FrameMaker to design and test templates. Arbortext Architect (the
special license required to create style sheets) used to cost $15K.
FrameMaker's advantage is that every license is a "template creator" at no
additional cost.

My company continued to design and support the structured application files in
FrameMaker for one account that had parallel Arbortext publishing and
development. Feedback we received is that it took ENLASO 4 business days to
develop significant format changes for XML publishing that took over 3.5 weeks
of testing and development in Arbortext. Naturally, some of this may be
dependent on the intelligence of expertise of the staff involved. But in
general I have observed that structured FrameMaker is much swifter than
Arbortext when it comes to making significant structural and formatting changes
to an application.

The customer in question used very sophisticated page and PDF formatting that
went beyond most "streamline" formatting associated with XML applications.
(Lots of fancy tables, and lots of 3 level lists w/in tables.)

Because Arbortext does not give a "literal" page representation, there are
often surprises at print/output time from target languages that cause text
expansion. One more reason that FrameMaker's embedded EDD with formatting rules
and "real" page display gives an advantage.

The single biggest reason to stick with FrameMaker over Arbortext would be if
you have multilingual projects that occasionally require maintaining the same
page breaks as the source English. In Arbortext that would require an awful lot
of "PDF previews" to achieve.

Another reason for sticking with structured FrameMaker is if your company or
division has a desire to "go all XML" corporate wide. FrameMaker has a much
lower learning curve than Arbortext, and is far easier for Word users to master
it than Arbortext. End users in Arbortext (who won't be involved in format
design, etc.) have a considerable amount of training to go through to master
the system which is less intuitive. If I had to distill it down to a crude
observation I would say that Arbortext was designed for engineers and
FrameMaker was designed for "everybody else." -- p.s. I went through 4 weeks of
Arbortext training a few years ago. Recent demos indicate that the publishing
paradigm is still similar to what I was trained on.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me directly if you need more insights.

Maxwell Hoffmann
Manager of Consulting & Training Solutions
ENLASO Corporation
T: 805 494 9571 * F: 805 435 1920
E: mhoffmann at translate.com <mailto:mhoffmann at translate.com>  ? ENLASO
Corporation provides quality enterprise language solutions and exceeds client
expectations through continuing research, development, and implementation of
effective localization processes and technologies.  Visit: www.translate.com
complimentary localization newsletter.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/maxwellhoffmann