David,

I think Deirdre, especially since she is a new user, nailed it.
FrameMaker is much, much more versatile than Word for long documents.
More of the underlying control is exposed and available to you. The
FrameMaker documentation has never been as useful to me as having a guru
on call.

My suggestions:
Dive into a low-risk project.
Do not hesitate to post questions to this forum.
Remember that your Word skills may not transfer directly, but the
general problem-solving, formatting, creative skills will.

...regards, Kelly.