Thanks, Peter. I was one of the daring few who jumped into the first version of
the then newly available laptop dual core Intel chipset. Unfortunately, that
chipset was discontinued after 6 weeks' production due to lack of support for
power save features. If I had been more cunning, I would have negotiated a
restock at the time. This idiosyncrasy has been the bane of my laptop
usage...well, that and the fact that the battery doesn't last more than an hour
or so. The video card is dedicated, but it also generates a TON of heat, and
there have been a host of problems cropping up with that heat at the root of
the issue. Plus, it doesn't help that it has been dropped and slung onto the
floorboard due to sudden stops in traffic a few times.  :-\  So, I think I'd
have to rebuild from the motherboard and graphics card all the way up.

I am heavily reliant on 10-key, so I'm afraid that forces me into looking at
laptops with 17" screens...but I just hate having that size...almost a
luggable, really.

I'm hearing Parallels and other solutions for Mac are the workaround for FM
dependency; and SPARC+Solaris is the non-PC environment for FM. I would be fine
without the Windows security updates. I keep auto-update disabled anyway and
let my IT guru selectively install the ones that are truly needed and proven
not to be a Pandora's box. (Color me paranoid, but I once lost too much time
with a Windows update that interfered with stuff right before a deadline.)

Rene L. Stephenson