Thanks, Art. You're right, I'm still warped back in time to the concept that
Vista is the new kid on the block with all the inherent "don't buy it until
they work the bugs out" cloud.

My main client has UNIX/Linux servers, and I'll be setting up a server at home
whenever the basement finish-out project is, well, finished. Whether I set that
up as a Linux server or a Microsoft server is yet undecided, but I'm leaning
toward Linux for cost and resource/overhead reasons. Regardless of the laptop
OS, I'll still be using mostly PC desktops in our home network (currently 5
PCs), so I was thinking Linux would be the more flexible server setup.

Seems like I have heard of FM for UNIX, but it seems a blue moon. Is that like
the FM for Mac, also got end-life'd? If so, the idea of a Linux laptop would
probably carry the same liabilities as a Mac laptop?

Either way, does anyone have experience sharing currently active FM files
between users who run FM in different operating systems?

I don't know why I had the impression that Macs are faster systems than PCs? Is
that just some grassroots advertising campaign? The attractive thing to me
about Macs is the graphics capabilities and the fact that I have kids in school
who could benefit from it when I trade up again (which I typically do every
couple of years at a minimum, to keep on the higher end of available
performance). I don't really get into the music side of electronics at all.

I had not heard Dell had a next-day replacement. That is good to know. Of
course, it usually takes about 2 weeks for me to get all the programs loaded up
and user settings tweaked out anyway, and I wouldn't be able to just image a
hard drive over if I have to move to Vista. For that matter, I have seen too
many issues with Adobe products in general for me to use the old standby of
keeping a recent drive image as a backup in case of catastrophic failure. Shame
- that certainly was the fastest way to recover. Surely there's a faster way to
config and tweak out FM... I guess I can just copy the maker.ini and fminit and
plugins directories to a customization CD?

Rene L. Stephenson