Does your colleague actually have the Zapf Dingbat font installed?? Did this
happen in FM 6 also or did the dingbat characters display correctly?

Do any error messages appear in the FM console window when opening the
document, especially a message to the effect that the Dingbat font is not
available and another font (such as Times New Roman) will be used?

I will guess that this is the case, and when he sends the document back to you
who does have the font, it opens normally.? This is a feature of FrameMaker -
it can make a temporary font substitution so editing can proceed, but when
opened on a system with the correct typefaces available the file will show them.

? Lester