I think the list agrees that not just anybody can write a good manual.  And
"No," writers cannot be just "anybody."  They must be committed, they need to
love language, and as Annie Dillard says "...you really need to like
words...words such as 'transmogrify'"

Or, if you will extend the metaphor to IT, "endianess."

The best writing happens as a collective effort with the writer at the center.
So, for example, take manuals. To write a good manual, one needs:
1. Subject matter experts for authoritative content
2. Enthusiastic reviewers who know the audience and have exposure to the
subject matter
3. Editors who know the language
4. The technical writer

Trying as a single individual to serve in roles 1 through 4 is possible, but
the more 'eyes' you have scanning the pages the better the expected outcome.
This is especially true if you are writing complete books, manuals, and
periodicals, from scratch.

There is also an equally beneficial flip side to this postulate. If you find
either "transmogrify" or "endianess" to be ugly, and if you think anybody in
particular can plant a garden, repair an automobile, or write a technical
manual, you might be management material.