The first Lumiere arguably has two instances of montage: the decision made about the points of time at which to start and stop filming. And both seem carefully considered choices.

Fred Camper
Chicago

On 5/22/2014 5:41 PM, Francisco Torres wrote:
Montage is used in  those films but only on the sly.... ;)

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:53 AM, <nicky.ham...@talktalk.net <mailto:nicky.ham...@talktalk.net>> wrote:

    Afew films without montage, or indeed any editing in the
    conventional sense: Lumierefilms, All my Life, Serene Velocity,
    Sidewalk Shuttle, Wavelength, Central Region, Russian Ark,many
    films by James Benning, Malcolm LeGrice, Peter Gidal....

    NIcky.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Francisco Torres <fjtorre...@gmail.com
    <mailto:fjtorre...@gmail.com>>
    To: Experimental Film Discussion List
    <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com
    <mailto:frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>>
    Sent: Wed, 21 May 2014 19:57
    Subject: Re: [Frameworks] New filmmaker

    ''Which principles do I have to bear in mind?''

    One principle-Montage.
    The stuff Cinema is made of.
    Because films ARE made of clashing frames.

    "If there is a God, it is a God of Montage''.
    David Cronenberg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYedfenQ_Mw

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHLMrbrAIiU

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXlzvvTHg7k

    On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Julianna Schley