Thanks for all the messages on here everyone. Unfortunately the theater
here in town won't be able to do it, due to both the fact that IMAX Corp
owns the projector (and the theater doesn't want to clean out emulsion
bits, etc from the machine), and due to time constraints with the
changeover, even if IMAX would be fine were fine with a dirty projector
(obviously a couple emails back and forth). Alas. Great discovering a lot
of your tips though. Hope this thread is useful for someone else who might
want to take on such a project.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Francisco Torres <fjtorre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> this makes imax look rinky dink...
> ''The production was shot with an innovative camera that places a 360°
> image on each single frame of 10-perf 70mm film. It was then projected onto
> a circular screen using a special projector mounted in the ceiling above
> the audience, engulfing viewers in a continuous, seamless large-format
> image.''
> Mi Pais Vasco -Vasque Country National Pavillion Film- 1992 Expo,Sevilla
>

> http://brcweb.com/Projects/mi-pais-vasco-basque-national-pavilion/#.U9p8puNdWzk

> I have never shot Imax but I have shot Todd-AO 70mm before.
>>
>> The thing about improvised 70mm stuff is that there are basically two 70mm
>> standards.  One has the perfs out at the edge of the film and is used for
>> aerial camera work and the like, while the other has the perfs closer in
>> so that there is room for sound tracks outside the perfs.
>>
>> It's traditional to shoot 65mm in camera, and then contact print the 65mm
>> camera original to a 70mm print since the frame layout and perf positions
>> are the same; the 70mm film just has a little extra on the outside for
>> tracks.
>>
>> What this means is that you can't use existing aerial cameras or a
>> Hasselblad
>> with a 70mm back to shoot stop motion animation unless the camera or back
>> has
>> been modified to handle the narrower motion picture perfs.
>>
>> If you want to do hand drawn animation, though, it should not be too hard
>> to get 65mm clear leader, draw on it, and have the lab print it to 70mm.
>> FotoKem will still do 70mm printing and they might have some clear leader
>> for you.   Technicolor in Glendale might still.
>>
>> It would be great fun to try hand-drawing on the huge Imax frame.
>> --scott

ekrem serdar
austin, tx