Hi Lena, I totally understand what you are referring too and I have made a
couple of 16mm films using the collage technique. There are plenty of
interesting possibilities that you will discover in the process. Just allow
yourself total freedom and experimentation to test results. I would
recommend to use splicing tape rather than glue, in case you want to
reorganize parts of the film, and also having a projector that can easily
take splices. You can get interesting optical sound effects using this
technique too. If you're using reversal film, bare in mind it will be very
difficult to get negatives, specially if you use different stocks and
colour temperatures. In my case, i always screened the originals (in
performance contexts) as I was very interested in the instability this
technique creates during projection, and the ephemeral nature of the film,
which was meant to break at one point (although it never properly did,
because the insane amount of splicing tape I used protected the films and
the emulsion very well!). The film becomes a performer, as it behaves
differently in each projection.

Anyway, you may not be interested in these unstable, performative aspects,
but in sort I would say there are no rules or paths to follow in making
collage on film, just use your imagination and allow yourself total freedom
to test results. You will enjoy the process very much. It's like working in
a sculptural way when you're applying little flat objects on the film
strip, then see what you've done animated on the screen. There are these
two dimensions to it that you may like to consider.

I have telecined copies of the films and scans of the strips that I could
send you if interested.

Good luck and enjoy!

Esperanza.

On Saturday, December 13, 2014, Kathleen Quillian <kathl...@dprojx.org>
wrote:

> Yes, Helen Hill's compilation Recipes for Disaster includes a whole lot of
>  great information about handmade collage and filmmaking that might be
> useful for your project.
>

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 6:07 AM, Warren Cockerham <warrencocker...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','warrencocker...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
> This stuff works pretty well.
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A3Q1XQ/ref=pd_aw_sims_10?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1
>
> And a copy of this
>
> http://www.angoleiro.com/cine_texts/recipes_for_disaster_hill.pdf
>

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 8:35 AM, Lena Ditte Nissen <lenadi...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','lenadi...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
> Thanks Christopher - but I am literally talking about collage.. in very
> very small pieces...
> Best, Lena
>

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM, christopher nigel <
> christophernige...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','christophernige...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Lena ,
>> it's called Editing , the handmade way ! I would start with tape slicing
>> , as if you make a mistake can always redo ?
>> if you find some old books on filmmaking , there will cover this ?
>>
>> I like this way of making films only done it with my super 8 film's ,
>>
>> Christopher
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Lena Ditte Nissen <lenadi...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','lenadi...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Frameworkers -- I am about to start working on collaging with 16mm
>>> film and wondered if there is anybody out there who I could ask some
>>> questions regarding glue, slicing techniques and so forth...
>>>
>>> Looking forward to hear from you!
>>> Best, Lena
>>>

>>> *LENADITTENISSEN.COM <http://LENADITTENISSEN.COM>*
>>> *  BERGERNISSEN.COM <http://BERGERNISSEN.COM>*