thanks for sharing

On May 23, 2015, at 2:05 PM, Bernard Roddy
<rodd...@yahoo.com<mailto:rodd...@yahoo.com>> wrote:

I was at the Chicago Underground Film Festival, where I saw, among other
work,Things, by Ben Rivers.  It truck me as several films that should have been
cut and submitted individually.

I just noticed that Ann Arbor gave it an award.  This is not a comment on the
jurors, of course (although we probably need to at least remark on the
prominence of women's voices in these matters, both as jurors in the case of
Ann Arbor and as represented artists, not to mention award recipients).

The Rivers work had three parts, I believe.  The first, in black and white and
taking interest in grain and abstraction, had nothing to do with the last,
which was in color and followed a squirrels exploits.  Am I out of line if I
say, hello . . ?  I mean, that last color film (it was a film, it was a
separate film, even if there was the attempt to name each segment after a
season and string the squirrel together with the rest as "summer" or what)
served as the kind of "experiment" that we see in video (a behavioral
experiment, let's be clear here).  The first film spliced into Things was much
more about a particular graphic look.  It seemed to me that we were seeing a
short loop that contained the kind of scattered crud we see from in lab work
with black and white reversal nowadays.  Do you know what I'm mean?  It could
not figure out why this stuff was appearing on work so often now, but Rivers
seems to have taken interest in it, or else just didn't notice the blemish.  At
any rate, the seasons didn't seem enough to justify all that time, and now he's
got award for it.

Bernie

Chuck Kleinhans
chuck...@northwestern.edu<mailto:chuck...@northwestern.edu>