I was, however, very happy with that whole period of frameworks, the time
when there was that flaming.  It was remarkable simply because the writers
were unfamiliar.

But I might be forgiven if I take Jesse McLean to draw this thought out
(without any intention to ignore the obituary).  If you saw it, in one of
her videos McLean uses Warhol quotations to draw out a thought about the
artificiality of affect, for example the intensity of the experience of a
movie by contrast to the real thing.  She includes voiceovers of three
different people who comment on an experience that is connected to this.
At Experiments in Cinema this year Roger Beebe showed a video in which he
presents diary entries recounting the incidents during which he was brought
to tears.  The emphasis he gives is on men crying, and he relies on his
everyday encounters with popular media.  As we read these diary entries we
also hear popular songs about crying.  Then I would mention the film at
CUFF about a woman who is asked by a doctor whether she cries.  The
circumstances are not as important as what she does with this question.
The video makes the most of these moments in which she offends friends
under circumstances in which you would expect her to be sympathetic and
"sensitive."

These works strike me as within a woman's discourse.  Reeder's video would
ramp us this thinking considerably, and I am being politically careful to
move on here.  But then when I think about the film by Rivers I wonder, who
is watching this and what impresses them. With what is the work competing?
It's all a case of curiosity, but it's also a concern about a practice.
The practice is in film, for one thing, but also it is the kind of work
that is recognizably "experimental" because obscure.  What is the
conversation to be had over such work.  (And this is not in competition
with anyone else, with any history, with any reputation, nothing but an
interest in work seen.)

Bernie