The Bell and Howell printers will mostly pass tape splices, but they always
have a little registration problem when the splice goes over, even if you
add a few frames of slop.

You can do it... I once conformed a 400 foot documentary entirely with a
Presstape splicer (very very bad idea).

But for the most part, cement splicers are very cheap today because there
is little demand for anything that can't work on a modern print.  I have
seen Meier-Hancocks on ebay for little more than the cost of postage.

I paid more for my full-size M-H splicer than I paid for my car at the time.
Now it's hardly worth the cost to store it.  The world is a strange place.
--scott