Hello,

Must the filmmaker be "a visible and/or an active participatory presence"
in the activity being filmed, or would a visible presence only as a
filmmaker also count?

In either case, a high percentage of George Kuchar's 200+ video diaries are
relevant to this. Some ethnographic work might apply, such as Timothy
Asch's and Napoleon Gagnon's The Ax Fight, or Asch's and Linda Connor's
Jero on Jero. Jean Rouch wrote extensively about his participation in
ritual as a filmmaker while filming (cine-trance), and his Tourou et Bitti
might be the most explicit example of that.

Andy Ditzler
Founder and curator, Film Love: www.filmlove.org
Co-founder, John Q collective: www.johnq.org