On 13 January 2012 15:20, Patrick Elliott-Brennan
<m...@elliott-brennan.id.au> wrote:
> Bianca Gibson
> Ben Finney
> +1

Heh... Top post and quoting what appeared like the entire digest
email. Bad boy, Patrick! ;-) Not even sure which bits the +1 is to be
applied to.

I am not totally sold on the making a compliment when you don't feel
like it as it could sound a little facetious. I could be totally off
base on the matter.

Is it better to include women (and those who are at the ends of the
age bell curve) in discussions by finding out what they have been
doing or what they want to do next? You may not be interested in
writing something in Ruby, Python, Java or Blah nor the project itself
directly but you might still learn something. As an example, how did
you solve this and that problem?

If I am teaching someone about Arduino which is written in a C
derivative (to the pedants reading this: it's near enough for this
discussion), I will take the person through a simple hello world
example and the procedure for 'uploading' the program. Then suggest
making a change. Suggest a code alteration to do on their own. This
could be applied in just about any other platform, language or
framework. I have never moved the keyboard from the student, to my
knowledge.

Neither subtle nor overt harassment should not be tolerated. Name
calling or stating that someone's argument doesn't matter is wrong,
perhaps there is something in the person argument or some side of it
that you haven't considered. In the recent past, I have found some
people on this list to be obnoxious at worse or blunt at best.

While I am on the harassment issue, I would like to point out that
those that have been bullied relentlessly (as in just about every hour
of every school day for years) during their school life can be
carrying anything which varies from self-doubt to full on trauma for
life. It doesn't matter what the sticking point was, whether it's
because you are/were overweight in school, or a speech impediment, too
short, wears "uncool" styled glasses or full year older than the rest
of your class mates, or a range other reasons to nit pick.

I am not saying that we should not argue passionately out of fear of
hurting someone's feelings but careful of rejecting a point without
justification as it can come across as though you are rejecting the
person whose point doesn't matter.

If I have struck a raw nerve with someone, I apologise but felt that I
had to put it on the table as some people out there still don't get
it. I'm thinking back to the aftermath of the last keynote from a FOSS
conference last year, but it could have been any conference or
presentation. I'm not digging up specific examples as it's beside the
point but to paraphrase from memory: "I did not feel that the photos
were that bad".

If I am judged negatively for what I have said above, so be it as the
more rights of marginalised or vulnerable members of any community
need to be supported, promoted and defended as and when necessary.

(Hopefully most of this makes a moderate of sense at this hour)

Regards

George