> > > A possibility could be: 1. build it for i386 only, 2. build it via
> > > buildworld without X11, regardless if X11 exists. If I want to use it
> > > with X11, it is interactive and I can make it for X11 by hand - it will
> > > not break on compile runs at some hour at night.
> >
> > I'll commit a fix that will prevent including X when DESTDIR has been
> > set. In practice this means that doscmd will never include X, unless you
> > compile it by hand. This of course implies that you have to compile
> > doscmd by hand every time you do an installworld, given that you want X.
>
> Maybe knob in /etc/make.conf instead to force compiling with X?
>
> best regards,
> taavi

Actually, several ports give you the option of building with or
without X support (i.e., SSH).  It would be nice to have a USE_X11
option in /etc/make.conf for doscmd as well as these ports, so you
don't have to specify it on the command line while building.

Of course, I'd like a pony too.  And a pink bike shed.

==ml