Bruce Evans wrote:

> > > It uses wrong ifdefs for the X11 files :-).  It should never find any X11
> > > files for building worlds, since there are no X11 includes or libraries
> > > under ${WORLDTMP}.  Adding some ${DESTDIR}'s is probably a sufficient fix.
> >
> > Ok, but this means that we won't install doscmd with X11 support
> > anymore. The user has to rebuild doscmd itself to have X11 support. In
>
> This is nothing new, I hope.  The release build environment shouldn't be
> polluted with X11, so releases should only have non-X11 doscmds.

Duh... that's probably the case because a release is built in a chrooted
environment. A buildworld/installworld will behave differently though. I
don't know if there're people that depend on world to install a doscmd
that has x11 support?

> > that case, it's better to have it in the ports collection...
>
> I think it's too system-dependent to work well as a port.

I think it's too system dependent to live in the source tree :-)

>From the manpage:
-x  Open an X11 window to display output.  This enables a variety in-
    terrupts not available otherwise.

Simply compiling with X support also isn't enough, because the default
font (vga) is not present in a default X installation. Ergo: doscmd
won't run in a X window unless you grab a compatible font from the net.

> You would need 2 ports, one with X11 support and one without.

But isn't that what our ports collection isn't all about. Examples:

kde11   vs kde11-i18n
nethack vs nethack-qt
*emacs*

Alternatively, the user can specify whether he/she wants X11 support by
adding -DUSE_XLIB or -DNO_X or whatever.

Not to forget that we can also use NetBSD's port!

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/