On 7/18/14, 6:28 AM, Allan Jude wrote:
On 2014-07-17 16:12, Adrian Chadd wrote:
On 17 July 2014 13:03, Alberto Mijares <amijar...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Adrian Chadd <adr...@freebsd.org> wrote:
Hi!

3) The binary packages need to work out of the box
4) .. which means, when you do things like pkg install apache, it
can't just be installed and not be enabled, because that's a bit of a
problem;

No. Please NEVER do that! The user must be able to edit the files and
start the service by himself.
Cool, so what's the single line command needed to type in to start a
given package service?

-a

We could make 'service apache22 enable'

which can run: sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf apache22_enable="YES"

and 'service apache22 disable'

that can use sysrc -x

And then ports can individually extend the functionality if they require.

I like this a lot.

That said, if other distros are setting up apache in 2 steps and we require 3 then we require 50% MORE STEPs!

Or they require 33% LESS steps than us.

Just to put it into perspective. Should FreeBSD be 50% more difficult or time consuming to configure?

-Alfred