On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:04:00PM -0500, Allan Jude wrote:

> >> According to our current release schedule, FreeBSD 18.0 will not come
> >> out for 35 years (2051).
> >
> > Schedule may be changed.
> > How you calculate this? As I see next mayor release gone in 2 year.
> > 18-11=7, 14 years, in 2030.
> > Ok, let 15.0 or 16.
> > I am work from FreeBSD 2.0, I am use (now) installation with 5.4, why
> > I can't planed about 11 to 18 upgrade?
> >

> You are correct sorry, I was thinking of the 5 year lifecycle of each
> release, not the 2 year cadence of new releases.
>
> Upgrading from an End-of-Life release is specifically not supported.

Where is documented? Curently source based upgraded suported to last
stable direct from 7.0. Last supported release now is 9.3.
Upgrade to 7.0 supported from 5.3.
Upgrade to 5.3 supported from, hmm, I think last 3-STABLE (or any 3.x?).
Upgrade from 2.x to 3.x is aout-elf upgrade.
As result, source upgrade supported in 3 step upgrade from any current
elf release to last stable.
Because ALL source history preserved.
I think preserving all binary packages from previos releases is imposible.

> It is not a burden that RE@ should have to deal with.

Please distinguish 'not supported' and 'prohibited'.
This position reduce to 'lost time to system upgrade? format C: and install
any other OS with more liberal upgrade policy'.
Time to system upgrade may be lost by multiple reasons, for example --
lost previos staff.