On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     My test box, with a pristine 5.x kernel, crashes on boot... it only
>     gets a few lines in, prints the amount of memory the machine has,
>     and BEWM.  Low memory page fault.

I saw the same thing myself.  It turns out, though, that I was using

COPTFLAGS= -march=pentium -Os -pipe

to compile my kernel.  When I used the stock opt flags of

to compile my kernel, my machine booted OK.  It appears as though some
changes were put in the tree that are sensitive to optimizations above -O
-pipe.  My machine never behaved this way before with high optimizations
until the new changes were put into -current about 1 or 2 days ago.

- Donn