>  > > This is not so bad but 5-30 minutes after this command system will
>  > > always panic.
>  > > cd /uu ; dump 0buf 126 - /w | restore xbf 126 -
>  > >
>  > > mode = 0100644, inum = 720391, fs = /uu
>  > > panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
>  >
>  > This looks like memory or PCI data corruption.  You don't say how you're
>  > generating this load, or what the motherboard is, but I suspect that you
>  > may have hardware issues here.
>  >
> /w fs contains cvsupped FreeBSD source, objs and ports alltogether 1G
> of data.  Load test is this simple "cd /uu ; dump 0buf 126 - /w |
> restore xbf 126 -" between two partitions.

Ok, so there's no major traffic anywhere else.  That's irritating.

> First motherboard we tried was Intel PPro 200Mhz (FX440 based I
> think/Natoma?).  Second one is newer 633MHz Celeron system but I don't
> know manufacturer.

But the same symptoms?  Have you tried replacing the controller (or even
just the onboard RAM)?

I don't currently have one of these old controllers that I can use in a
PC; the only one I do have is working fine under heavy load in an Alpha.

>  > One question - I assume you're not seeing any read error diagnostics from
>  > the Mylex driver (other than the disk errors?)
>  >
> Sometimes we have got more those scsi errors before fs panic.

But no other errors?  In particular, nothing that looks like a "real" I/O
error?

The problem that you're seeing looks like filesystem metadata corruption.
If it's not memory/system related, it has to be in the datapath from the
disks through the driver.  I'm not aware of any bugs in the driver that
could cause this. 8(