On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 09:46:46PM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
> Fixing broken things is a good thing.  Your argument about moving it
> from /usr/local to show how broken is a good test procedure, but turning
> it into policy is something completely different.
>
> I think the 'tradition' of FreeBSD installing packages in /usr/local is
> enough to leave things the way they are, especially since non-broken
> packages allow you to install it somewhere else on *your* system.

You have to admit that the "prebuilt packages" argument is
a pretty good one.  I don't used many myself (only cvsup, I
think), but if it's true that the distribution CDs ship these
pre-built programs, rather than the distfiles, then they should
be built in such a way as to minimise the amount of "built-in
policy".  Building for /usr/pkg (which can be sym-linked to
/usr/local) does seem to solve that problem, without having to
invent a mechanism for tweaking compiled-in paths after the
fact.

The default setup for locally built ports can stay exactly as it
is.

(On the subject of third-party software the installs in
/usr/local, the only binary thing that I run is StarOffice5.2,
and it installed itself in /usr/local/office52, but I think that
it's pretty agnostic about where it lives.)

--
Andrew