On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Brooks Davis wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 09:37:53AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> Interesting. What other OS distribution put things that went into
>> /usr/local on their distribution media?
>
>I'm fairly sure that some of the software distributed by SGI on their
>unsupported free software media does this.

Since I'm sitting in front of an SGI answering this email I'll throw in
that it's actually put in /usr/freeware.  It's quite annoying.  I much
prefer FreeBSD's /usr/local.  My path under IRIX has to include:
/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin:/usr/freeware/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bsd:/usr/etc:/usr/gfx
to encompass the various places software installs itself.  It's so much
nicer under FreeBSD to have one location to worry about third-party
binaries showing up.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a