On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 27-Aug-01 Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I am ready to do my megga-commit to add the first stage of KSE-threading
> > support
> > the kernel. If there is any argument as to the wisdom of this move,
> > then this is the time to speak up!
> >
> > At this stage a commit would break alpha and ia64 until
> > they are patched. From experience I can say that it's not a horrific
> > change to the machine dependent code so patches PRE commit would be
> > welcome.
>
> Just to get this out in the public: I for one think 5.x has enough changes in
> it and would like for KSE to be postponed to 6.0-current and 6.0-release.  I
> know that I am in the minority on this, but wanted to say it anyways.  It
> doesn't mean I don't like the KSE work or anything like that (I've even helped
> out on it some), I just think we have enough work in our basket.  Also, I'll
> point out that p4's merging abilities make tracking current relatively easy,
> much more so than if Julian was maintaining a separate tree with this patch and
> having to keep updating current and manually merge it all the time.

I think waiting for 6.0-current is too long.  Perhaps after 5.0-release.
If we get this in 5.0, we might be able to have a usable kse threads
library for 5.1 or 5.2.

I've used p4 to track the CAM changes before they were in -current.  It
was initially easy when only the kernel was involved, but once userland
was was touched I ended up having to use p4 to track everything else.
At the time I didn't have enough disk space to have both a CVS src/
tree and a p4 tree.  Plus it's difficult when you have more than one
development system because you can't just keep one CVS repo and update
all your systems from that.

--
Dan Eischen