On 27-Aug-01 Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
>> <<On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:34:06 -0700 (PDT), John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> said:
>>
>> > Just to get this out in the public: I for one think 5.x has enough changes
>> > in
>> > it and would like for KSE to be postponed to 6.0-current and
>> > 6.0-release.
>>
>> I agree.  I'd like to see this stuff happen, but I think it's too
>> disruptive a change while we still haven't yet gotten over many of the
>> SMPng issues yet.
>
> Sorry to butt in on this conversation here, but wasn't one of the main
> points of 5.0 and SMPng to bring KSE's into FreeBSD?

No, SMPng and KSE are two different tasks.  SMPng is multithreading the kernel
to allow concurrent access to the kernel.  KSE is changing the kernel to
support physical concurrent threads of execution within a logical process, if
that makes any sense.  Either one is potentially useful w/o the other, but both
together will build upon each other.

--

John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/