David O'Brien wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:04:49PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>>Samuel Tardieu wrote:
>>>Or why is BSD make used when the vast majority of Free Software developpers
>>>use GNU make?
>>1)    It actually works
> You forgot the syntax is nearly the same as GNU Make.
> (or rather both accept nearly the same syntax as the original Bell Labs
> make(1)).
> In the case of forth, the interpreter will accept nothing that looks even
> vaguely simular to C/C++, FORTRAN, bourne shell, awk, or perl.

FORTH is a pain in the ass, it's a bastardized and seldom-used language, but it does
have one strong advantage in a boot-loader
situation: it's tiny, and relatively easy to implement.

It's been a very long time since FORTRAN fit in 4k, I don't think C ever did, bourne
relies too much on external programs
[/bin/test, etc], awk is too limited, and using perl would be akin to using winblowz
as a bootloader [bLOAt]....

I haven't used FORTH since my VIC-20 days, but if you can use an HP calculator, you
can probably pick up the basics of FORTH over a
weekend.  If you can do PostScript, then you can probably pick it up in an evening.

     ET has one helluva sense of humor!
He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!

Do You Yahoo!?