Greg Lehey wrote:
> Since then, it has become possible for the loader to load modules
> before booting the kernel.  This means that, theoretically, it would
> be possible to have a JFS root file system.  Given the strong
> opposition to the GPL in some factions of the FreeBSD project, I don't
> see this happening any time soon, especially since we still don't know
> if it will buy us anything.

?

OK, I load the kernel from the JFS.  I mount the root FS, which
is a JFS.  I read the module "jfs.ko" from the JFS so that I can
mount the root FS, which is a JFS, so I can read the module "jfs.ko"
from the JFS so that I can mount the root FS, which is a JFS, so I
can read the module "jfs.ko" from the JFS so that I can mount the
root FS, which is a JFS, so I can...

Do you see the problem yet?

> >> It is used on IBM MainFrames and Enterprise servers
> >> for high performance and maximum throughput...
> >
> > No, it's not.  The Linux JFS is derived from the OS/2 JFS code, not
> > the good AIX JFS code.
>
> That's correct, but note that AIX is moving to this code base too, so
> it's not as if it's second-rate.  From what I've seen of the
> structures, JFS2 is *much* better than JFS1.  I haven't compared
> performance.

None of the Web Connections RS/6000 machines ran this OS/2 derived
code.  I was under the impression that it was there for Linux
compatability.  My impression is, layout or not, the original JFS
is much better code, overall.

-- Terry