On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:42:53PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 03:46, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > At 3:05 AM +0100 7/6/02, Paul Richards wrote:
> > >Let's start with a premise: No-one running current is using
> > >it for anything other than developing FreeBSD.
> >
> > This is assumption is too limiting.
>
> It shouldn't be. You're trying to defend a position that the project
> doesn't support. The -current branch is for FreeBSD developers, or
> volunteers brave enough to test the -current branch.
>
> As such, don't be surprised if it wipes your hard disk clean.

There's a significant difference between not supporting something and
activly breaking it.  In any case, I don't agree with that view because
I've found that the best way to keep up with -current is to run it as a
production desktop.  It's worked quite well for several years with only
a few minor bumps.  Please don't break this.

> I think having it as a make target is a good thing, since it would allow
> us to easily document that people who truly want to test current should
> run that target after a build to ensure they're not running old stuff.
> It keeps the code tied into the build process too. A separate optional
> script wouldn't be as well integrated into our build setup.

A make target is a lousy place because it is too hard to figure out
what it does until it's happened.  If you're going to just nuke things
at random, you might as well reinstall the box every time.  It would be
cleaner if that's your goal and it wouldn't hurt the rest of us.

If you really want a build target, a target that runs something based on
an mtree.obsolete file would be reasionable since there would be exactly
one place to look.

-- Brooks