On Monday,  7 October 2002 at 11:20:56 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>             "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> It's been a while since we've used portmap(8) on -CURRENT systems.  Is
>> it still needed, or can it be removed completely?  At the very least,
>> the man page should stop claiming that it's necessary to run NFS.
>
> I think that we need a mtree.obsolete that goes through and deletes
> these sorts of things as part of installworld/upgrade scripts.

I think we can greatly simplify things with one firm but relatively
bearable rule:

  The directories /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, <insert others
  here> are for the exclusive use of the system installer.  Install
  other programs here at your peril: they will be overwritten on the

There are then dozens of ways of finding the old files and removing
them.  I'd be inclined just to remove all files in those directories
which are older than some file in the build tree--*after* a successful
installation.

Thoughts?

Greg