At 10:55 AM +0930 10/8/02, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Monday,  7 October 2002 at 21:18:10 -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>  > On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>  >> On Monday,  7 October 2002 at 20:07:37 -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>  >>> I don't think doing this by default is a good idea.  Sometimes I
>  >>> work.
>>>
>>>  Nothing's stopping you saving them first..
>>
>>  In the same directory.
>
>Nothing's stopping you doing whatever you want, ultimately.  I'm
>looking for the solution to the 99% case.

If we are talking about something which will be run, by default,
for every person every time they do a 'make installworld', then I
think that solution must be a more user-friendly.  You're trying to
solve a problem where you got an out-of-date man page.  That is
hardly a crisis.  I'm trying to avoid the problem where 'installworld'
blows away some important file on a user -- when it had absolutely
no need to blow that file away.

How about for each directory, if there are old files found in the
directory then create a ".OLDINSTALL" sub-directory, and move the
files into there (instead of removing them).  And, of course, avoid
descending into those .OLDINSTALL directories...

Or, if there is a directory called '/buildbak', then move old files
from (say) /usr/bin into /buildbak/usr/bin.  Something like that.
I just want something less destructive.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]