On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  7 October 2002 at 20:07:37 -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> I think we can greatly simplify things with one firm but relatively
> >> bearable rule:
> >>
> >>   The directories /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, <insert others
> >>   here> are for the exclusive use of the system installer.  Install
> >>   other programs here at your peril: they will be overwritten on the
> >>
> >> There are then dozens of ways of finding the old files and removing
> >> them.  I'd be inclined just to remove all files in those directories
> >> which are older than some file in the build tree--*after* a successful
> >> installation.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > I don't think doing this by default is a good idea.  Sometimes I
> > like to preseve previous versions of things, knowing that they
> > work.
>
> Nothing's stopping you saving them first..

In the same directory.

> > I'd prefer this as a job for mergemaster, asking you confirmation
> > for each binary.
>
> I'd much rather not have to do *anything* manually.  That includes
> updating /etc, but that's a much larger can of worms.

Well, then try fixing the tool so it's not as manual.  I'd rather
be presented with a list of things that have changed, and a way
to select all or none, or enter a submenu for finer-grained
control of what gets removed/updated (generalizing).

I could imagine an option on mergemaster that removed old binaries
without prompting.

--
Dan Eischen