Today Mike Meyer wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andrew Prewett
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> > Today Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > [Context lost to top posting.]
> > >
> > > In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kenzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>typed:

> > > Put /etc/ssh/sshd_config back the way it was. Then kill and restart
> > > the ssh daemon. Again, rebooting the system to cause any daemons that
> > > have files in /var open to close them - thus freeing the space - and
> > > reopen with real files is a good idea.
> >  No, except few cases (new kernel, hw change), you newer must reboot the
> > system. It's not a windoze. If a program (process) is killed/terminated, then
> > all opened files will be closed (implicitly or explicitly).
>
> True, you don't have to reboot. However, I'd do it because that's
> faster than finding every process that has an open file and /var and
> killing and restarting those processes. If you really don't want him
> to reboot, please tell him how to find and restart all those
> processes.

 as a privileged user, use `shutdown now' (or `kill -15 <pid of init>', or
`init 1'), to go in single user mode, logout to go back. There is a
little more work, if you don't want to kick out the logged in users.

 In the case of sshd (and many other daemons), it's enough to send a process
a SIGHUP signal (kill -1 <sshd-pid>, killall -1 sshd) to reread the config
file. To terminate the process send a SIGTERM signal (killall sshd). You
can restart it later from the commandline.
 If sshd started from inetd, then you must comment out the sshd line in
/etc/inetd.conf and send a HUP signal to inetd, to ensure that sshd
(inetd really) not listening on the 22 port.

        -andrew