On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 04:02:33PM -0400, ograbme wrote:

> [...]
>
> <snip>
> >>
> >> I chose not to install the ports collection because as of now, I do
> >> not have access to Internet in my home-network and it would take a
> >> little while before I can set it up for browsing.
>
> <snip>
>
> I too took this same approach as the box I installed FreeBSD 6.1
> Release is not hooked up to the Internet.  I bypassed installing the
> Ports collection.  The installation went well and I have been
> refamiliarizing myself with Unix CLI commands and reading bits and
> pieces of documentation here and there. FreeBSD is pretty neat and has
> quite a few subtle differences from systems I worked on some years
> back, i.e., Solaris, HP-UX, etc.
>
> Anyway, now I would like to install the ports collection without
> having to reinstall the whole system again, if possible, thus my
> interest in this thread.
>
> For instance, I decided I wanted to install sudo ...
>
> <snip>
>
> JR> The FreeBSD installation program asks if you want "to install the ports
> JR> collection," but what it actually does is install a bunch of directories
> JR> (under /usr/ports) that you can use to browse what's available in the
> ports
> JR> collection. For example, to download a port, say, Firefox compiled for use
> JR> with the Linux compatibility layer, go into /usr/ports/linux/linux-firefox
> JR> and type:
>
> JR> $ make install clean
>
> Using the above info, I created /usr/ports directory (/usr was there,
> but not /ports of course as I hadn't installed the Ports collection).
> I created another directory under /usr/ports/ named /sudo, thus
> resulting in /usr/ports/sudo.
>
> I had mounted the ports CD I have and located sudo-1.6.8p12.tar.gz in
> the distfiles directory.  I copied it over into the /usr/ports/sudo
> directory, gunzipped it, and then untarred it.
>
> I then made sure I was in the directory containing sudo.c and all its
> attendent other files and tried the above "make install clean".
> Unfortunately it was a no-go.  Resultant message I received was:
>
>  "make: Don't know how to make install.  Stop"
>
> Obviously I've done something wrong here ... misstepped or tried to do
> the impossible, huh? LOL! Perhaps, sudo can only be installed via the
> pkg-add route per your mention below? I invoked sysinstall, but didn't
> see right away anything clearly indicating the "path to take" in
> resolving my dilemma. I'll keep reading and trying and may be stumble
> across the proper way to accomplish this, but all the while monitoring
> this email list for further enlightenment.
>
> Then again, may be I should just do a complete new install and select
> "Yes" to installing the Ports collection at that time, huh?  Naaaaah,
> one has to mess up to learn!  And trust me, I've learned quite a bit
> by reading yours and others comments and suggestions.  Thank for all
> of you being so willing to share your knowledge.

Go grab the compressed, reasonably up to date ports tree:

$ fetch -dpv ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz

(warning! 35MB compressed)

and:

# mv ports.tar.gz /usr/ports
# cd /usr/ports
# tar xvzf ports.tar.gz

to build sudo, first check that there's nothing funny with building
sudo:

$ cat /usr/ports/UPDATING | grep sudo

if there's nothing then:

# cd /usr/ports/security/sudo/
# make install clean

Then read the handbook about keeping your ports tree up to date using
portsnap or cvsup.

> P.S.  Please advise what the proper mode of responding is in terms of
> replying.  I did a "reply all" (to both Jeff and the list) for my
> first submission.  However, perhaps I should of only replied to the
> list to eliminate unnecessary traffic.
>
> <snip>

That's OK. I usually post to the list and cc to the person who posted
in the first place as they may not be subscribed to the list.

Welcome to FreeBSD!

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'