did you let mergemaster run MAKEDEV for you, or did you run

/dev/MAKEDEV std

while being in /usr/src? If the latter, you didn't rebuild the
devices in /dev/, you created them in /usr/src instead! That >>would indeed explain your problems.

No, I just meant that I copied MAKEDEV from /usr/src into /dev, and >then ran ./MAKEDEV std from /dev, as per the UPDATING instructions.

I do suspect this as being related, as I just noted that as of the
20020318 entry notes an ATA change. I'm just not sure what else to try.
After inspecting /dev a bit more thoroughly, I also found that after a ./MAKEDEV all, everything is updated to the current date except for all of the ad4 entries, and the ad5 entry. These remain dated May 8 2001. The MAKEDEV has been run normally, and from single-user.

Seeing as how there was apparently an ATA update in March of 2002..

Is there a way I can safely remove and rebuild those entries? Or is this even related at all? I'm grasping at straws, I know.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron Lewis.