From: Roman Neuhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >    did you let mergemaster run MAKEDEV for you, or did you run
> >
> >    /dev/MAKEDEV std
> >
> >    while being in /usr/src? If the latter, you didn't rebuild the
> >    devices in /dev/, you created them in /usr/src instead! That would
> >    indeed explain your problems.
>
>  No, I just meant that I copied MAKEDEV from /usr/src into /dev, and
>  then ran ./MAKEDEV std from /dev, as per the UPDATING instructions.

    hmm, does UPDATING say you should do that? all I know is >mergemaster
    asks whether I want to have /dev/* rebuilt, and I let it do so.

    UPDATING notwithstanding, you did *not* rebuild ad{4,5}*. take a
    look in /dev/MAKEDEV: calling it with "std" does not touch ad* at
    all. what you want is:

    cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV all ad4 ad5
yeah, this updated my ad* entries just fine, which was actually the conclusion i'd come to a little while ago, i just didn't know how to do it.

Silly me thinking that "all" == everything.

all of this aside, the base problem remains. Even with the updated ad* entries sitting in /dev, I still get a root mount failed error message on boot with no way I can see to load the 4.7 kernel.

the 4.5RC1 kernel still loads. scratching my head..

Thanks for the help.

Aaron Lewis.