On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:10:59PM +0100, Walter Jansen wrote:
> Hi
>

> Upon reading chapters of the Handbook about the Ports collection and CVSup,
> I wanted to CVSup the ports collection for the RELEASE  6.2. Stupidly using
> the wrong tag (tag=.), I erroneously but successfully installed the CURRENT
> version. I could have used SYSINSTALL for the RELEASE 6.2 ports, but for the
> sake of learning and training myself I did not.
>

> Problem:
>
>   - I ran CVSup again with the correct tag but though everything in the
> process looked normal, the map usr/ports remains empty and nor with whereis
> nor with pkg_xxx any information about ports can be found.
>
> Questions:
>
>   - What did I do wrong in the process?.

You used the wrong tag.

If you want the exact version of the ports tree that shipped with 6.2 the
correct tag to use is "RELEASE_6_2_0".  "RELENG_6_2_0_RELEASE" is the tag
used for the base system corresponding to 6.2-RELEASE.

>   - Is cvsup for installation of RELEASE 6.2 ports collection a bad idea
> anyway (technically) ?

If you actually want the ports tree as it was when 6.2-RELEASE was made,
then it is not a bad idea.  Most of the time one would like a more updated
version of the ports tree though.

> Proces:
>
> - I use the recently installed cvsup-without-gui, installed from ports
>
> - I deleted all entries and maps in/under /usr/ports (as recommended in the
> Handbook)
>

> - I modified the ports-supfile in usr/share/examples/cvsup and copied it to
> portswj-supfile  in the same map (not good practice I know now....)
>
> The settings in the -supfile where:
>
>   *default host=cvsup15.FreeBSD.org
>
>   *default base=/var/db
>
>   *default prefix=/usr
>
>   *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_2_0_RELEASE   (the handbook suggests
> that this is a valid tag for ports)

I doubt the handbook suggests that.  If it does it is wrong.

>   *default delete use-rel-suffix   (I could not find a meaning for this in
> the books, anyone can tell me please?)

Read the cvsup(1) manpage.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>