cpghost wrote:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:47:04PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
Another problem with ports is that all of them like pulling the
original source from the author's site.  I've had a few where the
author released the code under GPL then a few years later lost
interest, stopped paying whatever ISP he had the main site for
the program at, and the porter also lost interest in the project
and never bothered obtaining the last available tarfile from
the authors site and uploading it to freebsd, then both disappeared.
Another one I can recall is the gated code, similar issue.

Why not add this to pointyhat scripts? Just upload a copy of every
*new* distfile ever encountered from the author's page to freebsd
(unless there are legal constraints not to do so, of course)?

We've regularly collected and published port distfiles for at least a decade (with increasingly higher frequency as disk space came to permit). It may come as no surprise that Ted is talking out of his ass again :)

Kris