On Aug 4, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 04:52:37PM -0400, Gerard wrote:
Since it appears to be apparent that newer software might very well be released under the GPLv3 license, it might behoove the FreeBSD team to
rethink its ideas or beliefs regarding the inclusion of such software
into the base system. At the very least, it might very well make life
easier for end users who need the support that programs using that
license are now offering.

        I must have missed something along the way, because I  don't
        understand what the "preferences" are to *not* use 4.3.  I have
        it buiilt and runing here on my mail desktop and at least one
        other FBSD server.

        Clues, please.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with you as an individual running gcc-4.3 if you like.

Nor is there anything wrong with the GPLv3 license-- it's well-crafted and handles certain technical issues resulting from varied legal systems quite well compared to most other licenses (eg, clause 17 for many European jurisdictions which do not permit one to completely disclaim liability), *provided* one is working on completely open systems.

However, anyone who needs to do things with cryptography and signing is going to find GPLv3 clauses 3 and 6 unworkable. FreeBSD (and NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc) are attractive for people building embedded systems because they are (mostly) not GPL(v2)-encumbered, and adopting GPLv3 code would make that problem worse.

Regards,
--
-Chuck