Mel wrote:
On Wednesday 19 November 2008 15:06:54 Drew Tomlinson wrote:
Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 04:10:55PM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
Polytropon wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:34:32 -0800, Drew Tomlinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The Urchin installation docs [...]
contain a note for FreeBSD users waring of a "hard coded process
datasiz limit of 500 MB" and instruct on to set
"kern.maxdsiz="1073741824"" in /boot/loader.conf.  However FBSD 7.1
doesn't appear to have this sysctl.  How can I do the equivalent of
this in FBSD 7.1?
Exactly, it is *not* a sysctl setting. It's a loader tunable, as
I learned from this list some time ago. Don't search to find
it in the sysctl list, you won't find it there. :-)

In FreeBSD 7 you should be able to set this setting using
the file /boot/loader.conf. I think I had this setting on a
FreeBSD 5 machine, I'll go and check.
Thanks for your reply.  I guess I expected to be able to view it via
sysctl even though I understood it could only be changed with a reboot.
Is there some way to view the current setting?
Through sysctl.
OK, what am I missing?

urchin# sysctl -a | grep maxdsiz
compat.ia32.maxdsiz: 536870912
compat.linux32.maxdsiz: 536870912

limits -H. Some loader tuneables aren't exported to sysctl.

$ limits -Hd
Resource limits (current):
  datasize           786432 kB

$ grep maxdsiz /boot/loader.conf
kern.maxdsiz="768M"

Thanks for the explanation! As pointed out by Pieter de Goeje, the default size in FBSD 7 amd 64 is 32 GB, confirmed with the limits command above. Thus datasize does not appear to be my problem. I'm shooting in the dark here as Urchin software support is non-existent. Are there any other tuneables related to datasize that I might try increasing?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!