On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Keith Seyffarth wrote:

cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
make config-recursive
(choose configuration for everything)

Should there have been some kind of user interaction here? A series of
questions? A screen with boxes to X for different options? What I got
was:

# make config-recursive
===> Setting user-specified options for xorg-7.4 and dependencies
#

It took about 5 minutes, but there was no prompt for input...

Sorry, should have had you do rmconfig-recursive first. There's a bigger problem, though:

Instead of waiting for the ports to build, install the package:

pkg_add -r xorg

That's not working either:

# pkg_add xorg
pkg_add: can't stat package file 'xorg'
# pkg_add -r xorg
Error: FTP Unable to get
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/Latest/xorg.tbz:
 File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access) pkg_add: unable to fetch
'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/Latest/xorg.tbz'
 by URL

Are you running FreeBSD 6.0? I don't know if xorg-7.4 will work or even build with that. You may have to upgrade to 7.1-release or -stable before going on.