part of MS Windows ... I can't imagine how wine would work at all
 without X installed -- which is probably why you're not getting
 any answers.

        I'm not that familiar with Wine - does it support use of the
Windows command prompt?  I can conceive of a program which requires
Windows libraries or the kernel, but does not use the gui.

that's possible. anyway - if you can't build wine without X, built it with X, it will only install X libraries nothing else and it will work when command line utils will be used.