matter at all. Rather if you can get answer to questions about FreeBSD.
You can, even easier if some moderation would be present here.

Considering that the mailing list is one of the few places where
support exists, I don't know that I can agree with you.

Also, I don't think that an artificial filter or barrier-to-entry is
desirable, in general.

Definitely is. It saves our time and their time.

but they don't learn well by reading technical documentation

Then he/she don't need unix, or at least will not ever be able to use it without ability to read the documentation.

Some people may want both, but well you can't have everything. It's not
possible to everyone will agree with everyone on mailing list, and with
every potential new user.

I know that disagreeing is inevitable.  My position is that a pleasant
tone would be nice.

Mine too. What i really don't like here sometimes are lack of discussion, just agressive answers from some people.

 An example of a harsh tone (one which I haven't
seen on here) is telling someone to RTFM.

No it isn't if you point out WHICH manual - which i always do.

 Another example (which I
have seen on here) is people who just enjoy arguing turning reasonable
threads into flamewars.

Maybe they enjoy, but usually - they just can't resist different opinions and start to attack personally.

This keeps the system's quality high.

I politely disagree.  I doubt that a harsh community does anything to
maintain a high-quality system.

Why harsh? I don't understand you here.