On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 05:55:17 -0800 (PST), Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I have a static IP and a number of remotes with Cable or ADSL
access.
> > Remotes have FreeBSD, or router firewalls ala Linksys, Netgears.
> >
> > To make support/access easier can I set up my own Dynamic DNS server
on
> > the static address and have those remotes register their IP's with it
> > when they change ?
> > Thanks in Advance -Jay.
>
> Sure, why not. I don't have experience with *dynamic* DNS but i do
> operate a
> *private* DNS server in our department. You have to put your DNS
> server's IP
> into your clients' /etc/resolv.conf and setup your DNS server to
forward
> requests that it can't hande itself to yur ISP's DNS server.

Thanks, but not what I meant. I'm looking for a way to track the IP
addresses of the remote sites as they change, the cable IP's don't
chnage very often but the ADSL's get a new public IP every time they
loose connectivity. I'm looking to run my own server like
www.dyndns.org. I asked because the Linksys, Netgear support contacting
a Dynamic DNS server with it's IP address option and there are also
clients for FreeBSD.
Jay.