On Saturday 08 March 2003 12:45 pm, Miroslaw J. Wiechowski wrote:
> Message from Matt Navarre [19:44 2003-03-08]:
> >> Section "Device"
>
> [...]
>
> >>    Identifier  "Card0"
> >>    Driver      "i810"
> >>    VendorName  "Intel"
> >>    BoardName   "i810"
> >>    BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
> >> #  Option  "NoDDC" "True"
> >> #  Option  "NoInt10" "True"
> >>    VideoRam        8192
> >> EndSection
> >
> >Just as a data point my workstation needs the "Option "NoDDC" "True" line
> > to work. you also need agp support in the kernel, either compiled in or
> > loaded as as module.
> >
> >ok,
> >MCN
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> I added the NoDDC option.
>
> First time I got _some_ picture. It's resolution was too low
> (800x600), the picture was much too high and moved to the left,
> leaving an empty room on the right side of the screen.
>
> The mouse didn't work properly - it reacted erroneously or did
> not react at all. After a while the whole system crashed.
>
> The next time the system crashed at once and gave a core dump.
>
> Third attempt: the situation repeats. Wrong picture, wrong
> resolution, mouse does not obey... but no crash...
> However I have to go to the console and kill X-Windows with
> Ctrl-C because I am not able to operate the graphical desktop.

You can also kill X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace at the Xwindows desktop.

> Perhaps the contents of my XF86Config file will help:

> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier  "Mouse0"
>       Driver      "mouse"
>       Option      "Protocol" "SysMouse"
>       Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>  Option      "Resolution" "1200"
> EndSection

I had to goof around with the mouse part of my config to get my Micro$oft
PS/2 intellimouse (Dell branded) to work.  here's the relevant section:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psm0"
EndSection

Are you running moused on the console? That's caused problems for me before.

> Section "Monitor"
>       Identifier   "Monitor0"
>       VendorName   "Targa"
>       ModelName    "TM 1480 Multisync"
>  HorizSync    15.5 - 38
>  VertRefresh  50 - 90
> EndSection

Make sure you've got the right specs for your monitor. Things either A) won't
work or B) go very boom! if they're wrong.

> Section "Device"
>       Identifier  "Card0"
>       Driver      "i810"
>       VendorName  "Intel"
>       BoardName   "i810e"
>       BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
>  VideoRam    25000
>  Option      "NoDDC" "True"
> EndSection

hmm, that VideoRam 25000 line looks odd. I'm pretty sure XFree86 wants the
video ram as a multiple of 1024. In my config file the VideoRam line is
commented out. That might be something to try. See if you can find the amount
of actuall vram used on your system.

Here's the section from my Dell OptiPlex GX110:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "intel i810"
    Driver      "i810"
    Option      "NoDDC"
    #VideoRam    4096
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

> Section "Screen"
>       Identifier "Screen0"
>       Device     "Card0"
>       Monitor    "Monitor0"
>       SubSection "Display"
>    Depth     8
>    Modes  "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>       EndSubSection
>       SubSection "Display"
>    Depth     16
>    Modes  "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>       EndSubSection
> EndSection

Another thing to try is getting all your specs (monitor, vram, mouse etc.) and
using /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config to reconfigure X. (Back up the old
/etc/X11/XF86config file first).

ok,
mcn