On 25/02/2012 22:14, Polytropon wrote:
I have a problem installing a Samsung CLX-2160 color
laser printer using CUPS. In the http://localhost:631
web-based configuration, none of the methods that are
supposed to be used for installing a printer works.

The "Add Printer" button leads to this:

Add Printer
-----------
              Local Printers:
Discovered Network Printers:
      Other Network Printers: o Internet Printing Protocol (http)
                              o Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
                              o LPD/LPR Host or Printer
                              o AppSocket/HP JetDirect
                              [ Continue ]

No local printers can be selected (even though the
printer is connected, switched on and woken up).

And "Find New Printers" shows this:

Available Printers
------------------
No printers found.

Excellent auto detection. :-)

The corresponding device for the printer is this:

ulpt0:<Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. CLX-216x Series,
        class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2>  on usbus4
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

ugen4.2:<CLX-216x Series Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.>
        at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

crw-rw----  1 root  cups    0, 142 Feb 25 21:42 /dev/ulpt0

I have installed all packages I can imagine:

        cups-1.4.6
        cups-base-1.4.6_6
        cups-client-1.4.6
        cups-image-1.4.6
        cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_6
        gutenprint-cups-5.2.4_2
        foo2zjs-20110609
        foomatic-db-20090530_2
        foomatic-db-engine-4.0.7,2
        gutenprint-foomatic-5.2.4_2
        foo2zjs-20110609

I also have the CLX-216xsplc.ppd PPD file available
which I think I'd like to hand over to CUPS somewhere.

ALTERNATIVE: If someone could explain how it's easier
to make a lpr filter (for the system's printer service),
I'd also appreciate this.

I've already tried this:

        # foo2xqx-wrapper cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
        # cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0

It causes the LED of the printer to blink, but nothing is
printed, even though the printer startes to make sounds
(involving the print mechanism, but not the sheet feeder).

If I use

        # foo2qpdl-wrapper cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
        # cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0

the CUPS test page is printed, but not in color (only b/w).
After looking into the manpage,

        # foo2qpdl-wrapper -p 2 -c cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
        # cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0

makes the printer print properly.

Okay, it works.

How am I supposed to use a PPD file with CUPS when no
local printer is shown?

I "need" CUPS (or at least my programs seem to think
that), how should it be done?

Okay, I could make a simple printer filter. I could then
integrate that with /etc/printcap (as I do with my PCL
HP Laserjet 4000d). I think it should be possible to code
that similar to a parallel printer (with ulpt instead
of lpt device specification for the lp= parameter...

What am I doing wrong? :-)

You did nothing wrong, on the contrary. You now have a prefectly working printer. You just need to tell cups it exists.
Since

        # foo2qpdl-wrapper -p 2 -c cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
        # cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0

works, you should be able to create a new printer using a direct device.
So go on as if you wanted to create a network printer, choose HPJetDirect (for example) when asked about the connection. Then when you have to input the uri remove the socket:// and type usb:///dev/ulpt0. (Yes triple / before dev)
The you can process as usual for name, options and PPD.
If it doesn't work try parallel:///dev/ulpt0
Normally one should work.

Basically in cups choosing "network connection" allows you to input any URI you want, including file and raw (now defunct I think - it was mainly for debug anyway).

I never tried this specific printer, but this trick worked well on a few HP and Canon.

Tell us how it went.

Jerome Herman