On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, Polytropon wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:08:52 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
I don't know that I can add anything to the cups discussion here, but I
understand you'd rather use lpr anyway. You are aware that the printer
will only speak splix the samsung universal driver language? So any
config would have to be based on that.

The foo2qpdl-wrapper program seems to support that fine.

Once you have that working maybe you can manually add the printer in
cups using lpd.

Maybe? For sure! It's quite easy to do it (make entry in
/etc/printcap, create spool directories, write printer
filter one-liner "foo2qpdl-wrapper -p 2 -c" which is the
essential part). I just hope printing will be possible
from applications (Opera, OpenOffice and Gimp are the
primary candidates) afterwards.

Opera, I have not tried. OpenOffice and LibreOffice print through lpd fine. Printing through Gutenprint in Gimp also works without CUPS. Something has a probably-unnecessary dependency on cups-client, so it's installed here, but none of the rest of CUPS.

PS: using the non-resetting unlpt0 device is often helpful. A network connection is still better.