On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Polytropon <free...@edvax.de> wrote:
> I have a problem installing a Samsung CLX-2160 color
> laser printer using CUPS. In the http://localhost:631
> web-based configuration, none of the methods that are
> supposed to be used for installing a printer works.
>
> The "Add Printer" button leads to this:
>

> Add Printer
> -----------
>             Local Printers:
> Discovered Network Printers:
>     Other Network Printers: o Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>                             o Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>                             o LPD/LPR Host or Printer
>                             o AppSocket/HP JetDirect
>                             [ Continue ]
>
> No local printers can be selected (even though the
> printer is connected, switched on and woken up).
>

> And "Find New Printers" shows this:
>

> Available Printers
> ------------------
> No printers found.
>

> Excellent auto detection. :-)
>

> The corresponding device for the printer is this:
>
> ulpt0: <Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. CLX-216x Series,
>        class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on usbus4
> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>
> ugen4.2: <CLX-216x Series Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.>
>        at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
>
> crw-rw----  1 root  cups    0, 142 Feb 25 21:42 /dev/ulpt0
>
> I have installed all packages I can imagine:
>
>        cups-1.4.6
>        cups-base-1.4.6_6
>        cups-client-1.4.6
>        cups-image-1.4.6
>        cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_6
>        gutenprint-cups-5.2.4_2
>        foo2zjs-20110609
>        foomatic-db-20090530_2
>        foomatic-db-engine-4.0.7,2
>        gutenprint-foomatic-5.2.4_2
>        foo2zjs-20110609
>
> I also have the CLX-216xsplc.ppd PPD file available
> which I think I'd like to hand over to CUPS somewhere.
>
> ALTERNATIVE: If someone could explain how it's easier
> to make a lpr filter (for the system's printer service),
> I'd also appreciate this.
>
> I've already tried this:
>
>        # foo2xqx-wrapper cupstest.ps > cupstest.xqx
>        # cat cupstest.xqx > /dev/ulpt0
>
> It causes the LED of the printer to blink, but nothing is
> printed, even though the printer startes to make sounds
> (involving the print mechanism, but not the sheet feeder).
>
> If I use
>
>        # foo2qpdl-wrapper cupstest.ps > cupstest.xqx
>        # cat cupstest.xqx > /dev/ulpt0
>
> the CUPS test page is printed, but not in color (only b/w).
> After looking into the manpage,
>
>        # foo2qpdl-wrapper -p 2 -c cupstest.ps > cupstest.xqx
>        # cat cupstest.xqx > /dev/ulpt0
>
> makes the printer print properly.
>
> Okay, it works.
>
> How am I supposed to use a PPD file with CUPS when no
> local printer is shown?
>
> I "need" CUPS (or at least my programs seem to think
> that), how should it be done?
>
> Okay, I could make a simple printer filter. I could then
> integrate that with /etc/printcap (as I do with my PCL
> [...]

Polytropon

Hope this can help:

There are many things that could be interfering?

- Create /etc/devfs.rules with the following, which sets the
permissions and associates print devices with the cups group:

[system=10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups

- Add root and other users to cups group in /etc/group
- Enable CUPS and the above rules at startup by adding these lines to
/etc/rc.conf:

cupsd_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

Then hopefully the printer shows up in cups http://localhost:631 :)

If none of this works, you may try adding the apsfilter port and use
it to configure the printer?  But see if the above helps.

Regards,

Antonio