On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:26:29 -0600, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Hope this can help:
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=27666
>
> There are many things that could be interfering?

Done as explained in the thread. Even

        # cp /usr/local/share/examples/cups/ulpt-cupsd.conf /usr/local/etc/devd

has been done.

> - Create /etc/devfs.rules with the following, which sets the
> permissions and associates print devices with the cups group:
>
> [system=10]
> add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
> add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
> add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups

Checked and already present. I think I should not have
to fiddle with the ugen* devices?

Note: The scanner is currently not interesting to me,
but sane-find-scanners reports it:

        found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8
        [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.],
        product=0x3425 [CLX-216x Series])
        at libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen4.2

The printer should be on a similar address, but it does
already pop up as ulpt device which should be good. :-)

An additional

        ulpt0: output error

message appear in the system log after the device is
recognized (plugged in).

I also made a comparable set of settings in /etc/devfs.conf
if the printer is detected at boot time.

        own     ulpt0   root:cups
        perm    ulpt0   0666
        own     unlpt0  root:cups
        perm    unlpt0  0666

That should be fine.

> - Add root and other users to cups group in /etc/group

Done.

> - Enable CUPS and the above rules at startup by adding these lines to
> /etc/rc.conf:
>
> cupsd_enable="YES"
> devfs_system_ruleset="system"

Also already done. I'm already running CUPS to address the
HP Laerjet 4000d via LAN (what a waste, I know).

> Then hopefully the printer shows up in cups http://localhost:631 :)

No auto-detection, no local printers to be configured. :-(

> If none of this works, you may try adding the apsfilter port and use
> it to configure the printer?  But see if the above helps.

I've been using apsfilter in the past happily as it could
even to things like

        % lpr sometext.txt

but CUPS truncates the output as soon as an Umlaut or Eszett
appears. Great multilingual tool. :-)

As I said, I "have" (note the quotes) to use CUPS because
many programs say so. For example, Opera doesn't play with
system's lpr anymore, Gimp has hardcoded stuff in it, and
I believe many programs will follow this road...

Anyway, I will surely dump CUPS as it doesn't work for me.
Brings no benefit, even the simplest things (adding a
printer by specifying port and type) is _impossible_).
I'll begin to write a lpr printer filter instead. That
has been proven to work (see initial message). :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany