On 02/26/12 08:14, Polytropon wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:07:36 +0100, C. P. Ghost wrote:
On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Polytropon<free...@edvax.de>  wrote:
I have a problem installing a Samsung CLX-2160 color
laser printer using CUPS. In the http://localhost:631
web-based configuration, none of the methods that are
supposed to be used for installing a printer works.
(... snip ...)

What am I doing wrong? :-)
Have you heeded *all* the advices here?
   /usr/ports/print/cups-base/pkg-message

Permissions are usually the culprit when CUPS doesn't work.
Done (even with the variation of 0660 vs. 0770 as suggested
in that file):

        [system=10]
        add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
        add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
        add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
        add path 'usb/4.2.*' mode 0660 group cups
        add path 'usb*' mode 0770 group cups

Same result == no result. :-)
I don't know that I can add anything to the cups discussion here, but I understand you'd rather use lpr anyway. You are aware that the printer will only speak splix the samsung universal driver language? So any config would have to be based on that.

Once you have that working maybe you can manually add the printer in cups using lpd.

JIC you haven't considered this yet... HIH :)